Bad Resume Samples
Here are several BAD resume samples—don't do this! These are some common mistakes I often see people make on their resumes. Refrain from making these common errors and you will set yourself apart from the hungry pack of job hunters.
Bad Resume Sample 1
- Don't center everything! This makes it very difficult to read. Especially with bullet points.
- Don't use too much white space, or too little. Balance your text with the white space around it.
- Don't use the same type weight or size. It is difficult to see where categories begin and end.
Bad Resume Sample 2
- Margins are too small. It looks like you've crammed everything into a little space—too crowded. Margins and white space let your words and design "breathe."
- Don't italicize your headlines. It makes them look like a logo for a hockey team, or like they are running a race.
- Don't use a font larger than 11 points for body copy. It looks too bulky and unprofessional.
Bad Resume Sample 3
- Too much color, looks like an American "theme" gone wrong. It also looks a little like a cheap advertisement… "Step right up folks, here's your chance…"
- The variation of color disconnects the categories and decreased unity. Nothing looks like it goes together.
- Margins on this one look pretty good though. Nice "breathing" room.
Bad Resume Sample 4
- Don't use Papyrus! Unless you're designing the poster for Avatar VIII.
- Don't use overly decorative typefaces. They are too hard to read when used for body copy.
- Don't combine decorative typefaces